Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mmmm...Smells Good

Many of you know that I started a patio garden this summer. Well, it's been kind of here and there...hit or miss...some good stuff...and some not so good stuff. The other night I made homemade lasagna for dinner and decided I wanted to use some of the basil I've grown. I was kind of nervous at first because the basil hadn't really looked good all season...UNTIL this weekend!
I was so excited when I picked a few leaves off the plants and held them to my nose. The smell was intoxicating. I had to hold myself back from picking all of the leaves and taping them to my nose. But, I restrained myself and picked enough for the lasagna. Adding this fresh ingredient was the best thing I could have done to that meal. It added so much to the recipe.
And another exciting thing I discovered (while researching exactly how to harvest basil) is that I can dig up my basil plants right before the first frost and keep them going inside all winter long. I'm so excited! Is there anyone else out there who gets as giddy about these kinds of things?

P.S. This is my 199th post...which means my next post will be my 200th...which means there will be a celebration...which means a GIVE-AWAY! Keep close watch to see what the fun prize will be.

5 comments:

amylouwhosews said...

fresh basil is one of the best smells in the world! My plants have looked a little shabby this summer too. But it always tastes good fresh in pasta!

Jenny wren's nest said...

I have harvested basil and put it in a food dryer twice this year my family gets overwhelmed with the smell, an I have to take it out to our porch outside, too much of a good thing. Jenny

Kristin said...

I can totally see you walking around with basil taped to your nose!

Unknown said...

Yum! I love fresh basil, I planted a bunch in anticipation of canning my tomato sauce - soon!

Heather said...

OH I love Basil!! We have 2 big basil bushes in my garden. I make tons of pesto and freeze it. It last me the whole year until the next summer when I can make it again!

I also dry it for winter use.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin