Friday, August 7, 2009

Something Old. Something New.

Back in the early Spring, while my parents were visiting, we went antiquing (of course). And while antiquing, my mom came across an unfinished quilt top that was comprised of meticulously pieced together triangles and squares...and boy was it beautiful. Of course, I was extremely jealous and somewhat bitter that she bought it and wouldn't let me have it, but alas, Finders-Keepers.
Now before you start feeling sorry for me (and jealous that you couldn't have it either) I must share that I was actually able to enjoy it for a bit. When we went to Virginia in April, I saw the quilt top draped over the back of my parents' couch and asked what my mom was planning to do with it. She wanted to finish it, but she didn't know when she would be able to...
So...I suggested that she let me take it back to Indiana so that I could finish it for her and it would be her birthday present from me. Doing that would allow me to "get my fix" of this beautiful piece of hand-crafted goodness and I would be able to do some quilting for my mom.
Working on this quilt was both a blessing and curse. The aged fabric was somewhat stretched and quite a pain in the butt when trying to sew new fabric to it. (I used Amy Butler Dots for the border and the binding and some of her solid light blue for the backing).
There was definitely a lot of puckering, which led to seam ripping and grumbling under my breath. But alas, I pushed through the frustrating moments and was able to complete a beautiful quilt for my beautiful "Mumma."

5 comments:

Kristin said...

It appears that all of the grumbling and 'pain in the butt' moments were worth it! that quilt is absolutely stunning, job well done!

Samantha S said...

You did a great job. I am a little jealous, I never find anything like that when I'm thrifting.

Amy said...

It turned out beautiful! Your Mom is going to love it!

Anonymous said...

As the receiver of this beautiful quilt... I am so blessed to have such a wonderful daughter! It is now my night time snuggler and still smells like it just came out of the dryer!!! Love you Sarah!!! Love, Mumma:)

Unknown said...

Great work Sarah! It looks beautiful and I love your additions :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin